Thursday, September 15, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

My family loves to eat breakfast for dinner, it's just fun to break the "rules". One of our favorites especially when we are busy is breakfast casserole. It's easy and you can make it ahead and bake when you are ready to eat or you can even bake it and freeze for later. I usually assemble it before we go somewhere and when we get home all we have to do is pop it in the oven. I got this recipe out of a church cookbook, church ladies always know how to cook/bake so you know all their recipes are yummy! Of course, I have adapted it to fit our family size better, mine feeds 4-6 people.

Yum-O!
Ingredients:

1/2 lb sausage, browned
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 bag of shredded hash browns

Directions:

Brown and break up sausage. I'm a Pampered Chef addict, so I use my Micro-Cooker and do it the easy way in the microwave. It took me about 3-4 minutes to get it browned. Way easier and no grease splatters!

Ok so I need a new camera but if you notice, I used my Mix 'N Chop to get it nice and crumbly!
Word to the wise, break your eggs into a small dish and then add to the bowl (then you won't be fishing out a broken shell or a gross surprise!)

Oh and also when measuring seasonings don't do it over the bowl, do it over the sink, then if your 4 year old comes in yanking on your shirt you won't dump a load of it in the bowl! I know from experience!

Anyway, back to the recipe... Add your pepper. Adjust amount according to your family's tastes. We like peppery!

Notice my handy dandy adjustable measuring spoon!
Now add your Worcestershire sauce. Oh and orginally the recipe also called for salt but I found that the W-sauce has plenty of salt in it already. Extra salt made it way to salty for our tastes!


I also just love my cutesy mini whisk!
Then just take out some agression and beat up those ingredients! 

I love how in these pics you can't tell my polish is chipped! :)
Now you are ready to layer. Don't forget to spray Pam on your baking dish (for this smaller recipe I used an 8x8)! Then put a thin layer of hash browns down and top with sausage. 

Yum! I always sneak a bite, you know to try it out.
Repeat the layers and top with egg mixture. See it was easy!  (Recipe says top with cheese, which is yummy, but in an effort to cut some fat, I left it off.)

Sorry about the poor lighting!
Now the recipe says to let it sit overnight or for at least an hour, but I can usually never wait that long. Today mine sat on the countertop while I was uploading pics. Oh well. Anyway, then bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

I also turned the broiler on for 2-3 minutes so the top is nice and crisp!


Disclosure: While, I linked to Pampered Chef's website, I have not been compensated in anyway to do so. I just love their products and want you all to know how much I LOVE them! :)

Original recipe taken from the "Cookin' 4 Missions" Park Hill Baptist church cookbook. Recipe by the lovely Margaret Hayden.

 
It's dinner time! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment