Friday, August 26, 2011

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie

I am going to be trying out some new recipes over the next couple of months. My hubby is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. BORING! I am so sick of eating steak/chicken/pork chops with mashed or roasted potatoes! I mean you can only get so creative with that those meals. We are a picky family though, my husband is the first person I met that is picker than I am and now of course we have made our son picky too! I am tired of it! We are going to start trying new things. Also, I am trying to start couponing and will be cooking according to what I already have on hand or what is on sale.

So with this new theme in my life, I got a wild hair to try chicken pot pie. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have never even tried it myself let alone baked one! Sad isn't it. I didn't know what I was missing. But, like always, I couldn't just follow the recipe. I had some cream cheese that I got on sale and it was just begging me to use it up, so I googled it. I found a couple that included it but I also had some other things that were left over from meals earlier in the week, like the rice and broccoli. So of course I add them. I have adjusted the recipes I found to include these things and to our tastes. You are more than welcome to do the same, substitute ingredients as wanted/needed.

Ingredients:
8 oz. cream cheese, cubed
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 lb chicken breast, cubed or shredded
1 can mixed veggies
1 cup frozen broccoli
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 package refridgerated pie dough (I used Pillsbury)
1 egg, beaten (reserve for brushing top dough)

Melt cream cheese with the chicken broth, garlic, and pepper in sauce pan on medium heat until well combined. Add other ingredients to pan, mix well (if mixture is a little too thick add more chicken broth.

Mmmmm...already starting to smell good! 

Unroll pie dough into a 9 inch pie pan, fill with mixture. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of mixture.

Forgive me for mine not looking the prettiest! I had a little boy that wanted to help! 

Unroll pie dough and cut off excess and do the pretty crimping thingy. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with salt, if desired.

If you can't tell I tried really hard to make mine pretty, but to be honest my hubby is WAY better at doing the crimping than me! :) 

Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.

 Doesn't it look pretty! Smells good too!

 Enjoy!

Disclosure:

These are my own photographs, I am not a professional, so please excuse the lighting issues in my kitchen. (Maybe my hubby will take note for the need of a better camera and more lights in the kitchen!)

Also, I am no professional chef either, so please excuse my unprofessional plating. Wouldn't the judges on "The Next Food Network Star" just throw a fit if they saw my ugly plating! (I tried really hard though!)






3 comments: